Originally a long-standing UQ tradition for graduating medical students, Yacht Week was expanded to all graduating QLD medical students in 2016. Yacht Week is your last opportunity for some serious Med-style revelry with your cohort and perhaps, your first opportunity for some serious networking with future colleagues from other universities. This year Med Yacht Week will be run by The Whitsundays Week.
Yacht Week involves soothing those final post-OSCEs blues and PMSSD (Post Med School Stress Disorder) with a healthy dose of sunset drinks, sailing, snorkelling, hiking, fishing and partying in the surrounding Islands of Noumea. There’ll be beach parties, costume competitions and all the nautical puns you could ever dream of.
The week starts with a pub crawl at Noumea, New Caledonia to get everyone settled. We’ll then put on our captain hats and sail through the Caledonian Islands, visiting Isle of Pine, Îlot Maître, Amédée Islet and many more. To add a little #luxe to this trip, there’ll be a cocktail night on the exclusive Hilton on the Ilot Maitre too.*
Yacht Week caters to everyone’s needs. Whilst there’ll be plenty of fun, there’ll also be plenty of time to relax, reflect and reconnect during the day with snorkelling, hiking and sailing. The week will be topped off with a regatta and Sports Day to add some cheeky rivalry.
So… what do you need to do? Get yourself a crew of 7 to 11 to secure your own private yacht! All yachts are subject to availability we will contact you with confirmation regarding your booking. Don’t have a group or have a smaller group? No stress! We can help allocate you to a boat and/or combine smaller groups together! Most importantly, start working on your ultimate summer playlist because this will be the summer you’ll never forget.
Besides the incredible experiences, lifelong friendships, thrilling sailing and unforgettable memories. What else is included for the week…
The only thing not included – are alcohol, sunscreen and flights!
*Please see “The Finer details” for more information.
– If you want an entire boat to yourself and your mates, get yourself a crew of 11 or 13
– Smaller groups will be assigned to a boat with others
– A 25% non-refundable but transferable deposit is required to secure a ticket
– If you paid using our 25% deposit option, the second payment of 25% is due on 22nd April, the third payment of 25% on the 1st of July and the final payment of 25% on the 10th of September
– Full payment is due by the 20th of September
– You don’t need any sailing experience. We’ve got you covered
– Personal travel insurance must be purchased before the trip. Proof of purchase may be required beforehand
– Recommended packing lists will be released within a fortnight of departure
– A $3000 refundable bond (~$450-$300 per person) is required on check-in per boat
– Flights are not included in the price
– Yes! You’ll be sleeping in the yachts during the nights!
– Any other questions, feel free to get in touch.
Med Yacht Week is an end-of-medical school graduation trip exclusively for those in their final year of med school. All graduating medical students are welcome!
Absolutely! We generally assign the boats based on your specific medical school but have spots available for solo travellers who are looking to get around the Med Yacht Week tradition.
No problem, we have experienced sail guides to ensure you have the time of your life regardless of experience.